Friday, April 02, 2010

K2 Climb


K2 is known around the world among climbers as one of the toughest mountains in the world to summit. Only 700 feet less than Everest but Everest is a tourist cakewalk in comparison. The northface is a grueling treacherous technically difficult climb challenging one’s endurance, courage, and tenacity. That is why I have choose it as my first mountain to summit.


Editor’s question: Have you summitted K2?

Author’s answer : It depends what you mean by summit.

Editor: I mean have you stood on the top of the mountain with nothing else higher to climb.

Author: Not exactly.

Editor : So you haven’t summited.

Author: Not yet.

Editor : You submitted a picture which you titled “Author summiting K2.”

Author: That’s correct.

Editor : but you haven’t summited.

Author: I was on my way.

Editor : And then.

Author: I got distracted.

Editor : In the picture there is a grab rail behind you.

Author: Yes, the picture was taken at the “scenic overlook for K2.”

Editor : There appears to be an vertical steel beam and store shelves behind you.

Author: Yes, there does appear to be that.

Editor : Why?

Author: Because it’s there.

Editor : At K2?

Author: At the scenic overlook to K2, someone was supposed to do some touchup with photoshop. That obviously didn’t happen.

Editor : Touch up?

Author: Yeah, I told them to take out the guard rails and the store shelves and replace it with blue sky and wispy clouds. I thought that would make it more authentic.

Editor : How far were you from the summit of K2 when that picture was taken?

Author: A few feet.

Editor : Define few.

Author: Well, that’s an interesting question if you take a long view, which I prefer to do, say if you were looking from Saturn you’d be almost on top of K2. So, you see, everything is relative.

Editor : Ten feet? One hundred feet? A thousand?

Author: More like [mumble]

Editor : Excuse me?

Author: More like 27.

Editor : Feet?

Author: Yes, feet. Thousand.

Editor : Thousand?

Author: Yes, 27 thousand, give or take.

Editor : How far were you from base camp?

Author: Hum, I’m not exactly sure. Maybe [mumble].

Editor : What? How far were you from K2 when you took this picture at the “scenic overview” as you call it.

Author: As near as I can tell, and this is very rough but about 6658.377.

Editor : Feet?

Author: Miles.

Editor : That’s half way around the world.

Author: About, yes. I’d say that’s accurate.

Editor : It appears you are standing on a fake rock in a store.

Author: I’m not sure but I think the rocks in R.E.I. were real.

Editor : You were in a sporting goods store?

Author: Yes, didn’t you see the shelves?

Editor : You said you were summiting K2.

Author: I was on my way to summit. I got distracted. Wait til you see my nifty new shoes.

Editor : Egads.




Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home