Saturday, September 03, 2011

Dear Hank,

I’ve had discussions with people whose political views aren’t necessarily in line with mine. I’m always curious when someone makes what I think is a scurrilous and/or factually inaccurate statement or maybe it’s a plain mean spirited comment.

Typically, these statements are made in passing in another conversation.

I used to ignore these comments or I’d make some retort.

The response I’d get would be very personal. I’d be labeled and attacked personally with a “Oh, you’re just a ...”

I’d ask for a fact that supported their position or a reason. Facts were vague; reasons were non-existent or non-sensical. I was puzzled. Why the personal attacks? Why the lack of facts and reason to back up their off hand mean spirited comments?

Then it hit me.

These people are prejudiced bullies.

They are trolling to find others like them self and failing that they hope to dominate the conversation with their views.

I’ve decided I’m not going to let them do that.

I’m standing up for myself.

I’ve found when you stand up to the bullies they get strangely silent.

They probably go somewhere else to troll.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home