Thursday, April 29, 2010

Buggy Naked and some Awesome Fly Days on The Outer Banks


Hank,


Awesome kiting here on Hatteras the last two days. Day before yesterday I saw over 80 kites up: 30 at Kite Point, 12-15 at Canadian Hole, 15 at Askins Creek. These are all within sight of each other! Another 20 kiters were scattered in various places.One could argue this is all the same place as you can see all of them at the same time driving north on NC12 from Buxton, where the Hatteras Lighthouse is located. There were another 20 or so kites in twos, threes and fours scattered along the sound side all the way to Rodanthe. Winds had calmed to a nice 20-30 mph, down from their 40-60 the day before. It was sunny in the 70's.

Yesterday, was a bit cooler but the good winds came up in the late morning and stayed till sunset. I watched 12 or 15 kiters south of my house. Half a dozen next door and numerous wind surfers skimming along.

You gotta put Hatteras Island on your list of one of the Ten Places to Fly a Kite. (Not 100, not 1000, but 10.)

I’m still learning Facebook. People tell me it’s awesome. If so why’s it so poorly designed? From a human factors standpoint it leaves a lot to be desired. I know. I know. someone will tell me, “All you got to do is blah-blah-blah.” But if it was obvious, which means well designed, you wouldn’t have to ask or be told by someone the cool little trick.

Two days ago I was asked to become a fan of some group. I couldn’t join because there was no button to become a fan on their page. Then I was told it’s no longer “fan” it’s “likes.” So “likes” is what “fan” used to be. See, how cool is that? Not.

My buddy Corey send me a thing asking me to join “Horny Naked Buggy Chicks” so I do and now the whole world knows I did that - great. Not.

The last item requires that you are in on the super secret thing so that you can be in the “in” crowd and that we on the in-crowd won’t look like the emperor of old that we have no clothes. Well, come to think of it maybe that would be okay in this case.

First, you gotta know there are these things called kite buggies. I explain them to people as high tech big wheels without pedals. You have foot pegs where the pedals would be and you get pulled by a big steerable kite, usually having two or four lines attached to it. And there are these events that buggiers go to usually on dry lakebeds, deserts or beaches where the wind blows and the surface is clear of obstructions and hard enough to roll on and you sit in your kite buggy, fly your kite and sail along. Recently, the world’s speed record in a buggy was set at over 80 mph.

Naturally, someone - no doubt Corey - had the idea that it would be fun to buggy naked and he started a club of sorts and guess what the initiation was? Yeah. So what was the next step? Yeah. So now you know.


Bitchinly,


Bryce

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home